Major Factors causing Desertification in India
(i) Unsustainable Agricultural practices
- Extensive and frequent cropping of agricultural areas.
- Excessive use of fertilisers.
- Shifting cultivation without allowing adequate period of
(2) Unsustainable Water Management
- Poor & Inefficient Irrigation Practices.
- Over abstraction of ground water, particularly in the coastal
regions resulting in saline intrusion into aquifers.
(3) Conversion of land for other uses
- Prime forest into agricultural land.
- Agricultural land for other uses.
- Encroachment of cities and towns into agricultural land.
- Unsustainable forest management practices.
- Other land use changes (Projects- energy, roadways,etc).
- Overgrazing, excessive fuel wood collection.
- Uncontrolled logging and illegal felling and
- Forest fires.
(5) Industrial, mining and other activities without satisfactory measures for prevention of land
degradation and land rehabilitation.
(6) Demographic pressures - human and livestock.
(7) Frequent droughts/failure of monsoon and their link with global climate phenomena.
More info: http://www.envfor.nic.in/unccd/desert1.html